Visitors

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Brussel Sprout Flax Seed Turkey Burgers

Part of my weight loss journey has been experimenting with new foods as I try to eat cleaner and healthier. A big part of my diet has been eliminating nightshade foods (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers, etc.) because of my arthritis. This means no ketchup, chile sauce or powder, french fries or anything hidden. I've recently learned the hard way, if it says "spices" in the ingredient I should not consume it. This unfortunately leaves me with fewer options when it comes to meal planning. After experimenting with different recipes and researching the benefits of different foods, this combination is what I came up with for our dinner tonight. I wanted to serve my family something that was healthy, but also somewhat resembles "real" food. After all, they are nice enough to eat my dinners. Breakfast and lunch are on their terms. :)

Brussel Sprout flax seed Turkey Burgers

Makes 4-8 patties

ingredients:
1 lb. ground turkey
3-4 fresh brussel sprouts
1 Tbsp. flax seeds
1 egg
non-stick cooking spray
garlic, black pepper or your spice of preference 
(I just used garlic and black pepper due to my nightshade allergy)

Chop brussel sprout into very small fine pieces.

Mix with flax seeds.
Mix in turkey meat and stirred egg. Make 4-8 patties.
Spray large skillet with non-stick cooking spray. 
Place burgers in and season to your liking. Cook 
burgers evenly, flipping throughout.

You can eat them like a typical burger, on a bun and add whatever condiments you like. 
Because of my allergies and low carb lifestyle I chose to eat mine as is. It was just as delicious!
Brussel sprout flax seed turkey burger with a side of broccoli and Havarti cheese.









No comments:

Post a Comment