Visitors

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Indiana State Pie

One of the best things to come out of Indiana? Sugar Cream Pie! Wicks Sugar Cream Pie to be exact. I can eat one of these in one sitting if my will power wasn't as strong. I LOVE LOVE LOVE these pies. Since I have moved away it saddens me that I can't have one whenever I want. Since I can't easily stray too far from my favorite dessert I have been trying to find recipes that taste similar. I have only tried a couple and they are no where near as good as the real thing. I have been reading around on different forums and have borrowed this recipe from one of the taste of home blogs. I do not know if it is a taste of home recipe or if it is from an entirely different place. Either way I am trying it next. I'll go ahead and post it so you can try if you want.

OLD-FASHION SUGAR CREAM PIE 


Serves: 8
Effort: Easy
Comments: This is very rich. I like it best served warm. Very simple…..very good! This was one of Jerry’s favorites!

Ingredients:
Unbaked pie shell (I use a frozen deep-dish shell) 
2 cups heavy cream 
1 tsp. vanilla 
1/2 cup flour 
1/4 tsp. salt 
1/2 cup brown sugar 
1/2 cup granulated sugar 
1/4 tsp. nutmeg 
1 Tbs. butter 

Directions:
Combine cream and vanilla and let stand 10 minutes without stirring. In large bowl, mix flour and salt. Gradually add 2/3 cup cream mixture, stirring constantly. When smooth add sugars and mix well. Stir in remaining cream mixture and let stand 20 min. for sugar to dissolve. Pour in pie shell. Sprinkle with nutmeg and dot with butter. Bake @ 300º for 10 minutes. Continue baking @ 350º for 45 minutes or until filling is set.

I am anxious to try this! Hopefully my pie loving husband will enjoy it no matter if it tastes like wicks brand. He didn't grow up with it, but he has tried it and I think I have him hooked as well. 

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment